***AMV Applications are now open. Deadline is July, 11, 2019.***
Anime California will take place in Burbank, California 8/23-8/25. DEADLINE for submissions is July 11, 2019.
- ACTION – Adventure, intensity, adrenaline…
- DRAMA – Angst, pain, fear…
- COMEDY – Humorous, silly, quirky…
- SENTIMENTAL – Inspiring, emotional, uplifting…
- UPBEAT – Dance, movement, energy…
- TRAILER – Coming to a theater near you…
Contestants may enter up to three (3) videos, but only one (1) per category. We reserve the right to move your entry to another category if we feel it’s better suited elsewhere. If we decide to move your entry to another category already containing one of your entries only one may be permitted to advance to the finals. (Participants may or may not be notified of the change before the reveal of finalists.)
Videos must be a minimum of 640×480 and maximum of 1920×1080. (NO 4K). COMPRESS YOUR FILE(S). We will not download anything larger than 350MB.
Acceptable containers include the common standards of:
Frame rate should be a standard of 23.97fps or 29.97FPS – anything else may result in playback error. We will try to work with you if you have questions or concerns about file types, or if we have trouble working with your entry.
Your video(s) must meet the following criteria:
- Good quality. Videos found to be poorly encoded, such as containing artifacts, interlacing or red-lining audio are not permitted.
- Keep it PG-13. Excessive violence, derogatory material, explicit sexual content/innuendo, and/or strong language are not acceptable.
- No subtitles unless they serve a specific artistic purpose intended by the creator. No industry credits if opening/ending footage is used.
- Video length must be between 30 seconds and 6 minutes.
- ALL ANIMATION is permitted, including manga.
- No bumpers, credits, *watermarks or title screens. All videos will be given uniform identifying slides.
- Any trailers entered MUST NOT contain proper titles or authorities in their opening green screen. If the MPAA did not view your trailer, then you may NOT use their name. Parody versions with mock companies are permitted.
- Your video cannot have been entered into previous Anime California contests.
- Your video must not have premiered anywhere before July 11, 2017.
*Watermarks are constant symbols, typically small in the corner of the screen. They suggest you obtained/downloaded your footage illegally, and are not tolerated.
Not adhering to one or more of these rules will result in the disqualification of your entry.
- Dishonorable Participation (Penalty variable based on severity) Participants who engage in a manner that causes grief, harm, or dishonor to others or to the event may be reprimanded. This includes intentional rule violations and unsportsmanlike behavior.
- Dishonesty (Penalty variable based on severity) Participants who provide false, incomplete, or misrepresented information on their entry form may be reprimanded. This includes the part where you affirm that you’ve read and understood all rules.
- Plagiarism (Penalty of blacklisting. You will be ineligible to participate in further Anime California AMV Contests.) Do not submit someone else’s AMV as if it were your own. Do not use parts of someone else’s AMV or submit an “improved” version of someone else’s AMV unless you have the original creator’s explicit permission to do so.
Judging and Winners
All entrants will be prescreened blindly and judged prior to the convention. The overall favorite video will be awarded “Judges’ Choice”. Audience members will be given a voting ballot for the contest and choose their favorite video for each category. The most popular video of each category will be awarded Best in its Category. At the end of the show, audience members will be asked to select three videos out of the entire show to be voted as their overall favorite. The one video with the most votes will be
awarded “Audience Choice”. Winners will be announced later during the convention at a to-be- determined time and place.
SUBMIT YOUR VIDEOS
It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to submit your AMV early, especially if your AMV content or format is questionable. Creators whose videos meet any of the disqualification criteria will be notified and updated. Videos may be resubmitted for consideration as long as it’s received before the deadline. It is also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to respond and read your e-mails frequently during the contest submission period for updates, information and confirmations.
If you have any questions about the contest or submitting your video, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember, DEADLINE IS JULY 11TH 2019.